Is there any better way to end my summer stream of treats than with a lemon bar? This was one of the last goodies I made while in Boston and I needed to use up ingredients I couldn’t lug back with me to the sunshine state.
Opinions are fierce for the most ideal crust to custard ratio on a perfect lemon bar. I prefer a 50:50 divide because I strongly believe both the shortbread and lemon topping are equally essential and must be tasted in balance. To make it my own, I added almond extract instead of vanilla to the crust and topped the bright yellow custard with sweet shredded coconut. With Labor Day weekend fast approaching, get in your last summer squeeze with this citrusy lemon bar recipe!
photo credit: Zac Wolf
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 + 1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp flour
1/4 cup confectioners sugar, for garnish
2. Combine crust ingredients until uniform
3. Press dough into bottom of baking dish evenly
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes until slightly golden brown
7. Mix in lemon juice, zest, baking powder, and flour until combined
10. Remove from oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes
11. Dust with confectioners sugar and enjoy warm or cold!