One of my favorite flavor combinations is sweet + salty and there is no better way to achieve this than by incorporating pretzels into baked goods. In my opinion, these crunchy little snacks taste best coated in chocolate or peanut butter. However, they’ve proven to be delicious hidden beneath white chocolate and yogurt flavors as well. In this pie, they sit a top a crumbly graham cracker crust, a thick chocolate brownie, and a smooth layer of Nutella – really, how can you go wrong?
I made this treat as a contribution to a picnic birthday party that unfortunately fell on a rainy day. Luckily, the weather didn’t stop us. When I arrived the living room was lined with blankets and tiny electric tea candles. They served yummy chicken salad, roast beef, and veggie sandwiches, with a side of homemade potato salad. In addition to my brownie pie, was a wonderful summer strawberry pie complete with lattice top! I had a great time at this picnic and was happy to serve up some salty-sweet dessert to the other guests.
Brownie Pretzel Pie
Becca Bakes Original Recipe
1 + 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup sugar
6 tablespoons buter, melted (might need a bit more)
3/4 teaspoon of kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Brownie Recipe – one that’s made for an 8×8 pan
1/2 cup of Nutella
15-18 Pretzels (salted or unsalted, you decide!)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a pie pan with cooking spray
2. In a large bowl, combine first five ingredients until they are able to be pressed into a pie pan and hold the form of a crust. You might need to add slightly more butter or more graham cracker crumbs to achieve this.
2. Bake crust for 8-10 min. or until golden brown around the edges. Cool for 10 minutes.
3. While crust is baking, prepare brownie batter
4. When crust has slightly cooled, pour brownie batter into pie pan and bake according to your brownie recipe or until a tooth pick inserted into the middle comes out with a few crumbs (not gooey brownie batter)
5. Allow pie to cool to room temperature
6. Spread a generous layer of Nutella across entire pie and garnish with pretzels.
7. Note: this pie is best served at room temperature or slightly warm!